Sponsoring Organization — OC99s
The Orange County Chapter of The Ninety Nines, Inc., International Organization of licensed women pilots from 35 countries, is sponsoring this essay contest. We are a non-profit, charitable membership 501(c)(3) corporation. In 1929, all 117 American female pilots were invited to assemble for mutual support and the advancement of aviation. Amelia Earhart was elected President and the group was named for the 99 charter members. Today The Ninety-Nines are professional pilots for airlines, industry and government. We are pilots who teach flying and fly for pleasure. We are women who love to fly and want to share the joy of flying! http://www.ninety-nines.org/
How to Enter the Essay Contest
- You must be 14 to 18 years of age at the time of entry, female or male.
- One submission per person.
- Cover the topic, “Why I Want to Learn to Fly”
- Be 300 to 500 words
- Be written in English
- Be original to the applicant and not copied from other sources
- Include entrant’s name, address, phone number, email address, and school
- 10 winners will be selected by a judging panel of women pilots in the OC99s
- Entries will be judged first on content, then on quality and neatness.
- Write from your heart.
- Entries may be typed or hand written.
- Send in PDF format by e-mail to: OCNinetyNines@gmail.com
- Or send by US Mail to:
P.O. Box 6030
San Clemente, CA 92674-6030
- Essays must be received on or before May 31, 2017.
- Winners will be announced on June 20, 2017.
Award – Total Value $500
The ten selected entries will be awarded one flight lesson at either of these two premiere flight schools at John Wayne Orange County Airport:
Orange County Flight Center
19531 Campus Drive Suite 4
Santa Ana, CA 92707
19531 Campus Drive Suite 7
Santa Ana, CA 92707
The selected entries will also receive a Rod Machado Pilot Kit, which includes Rod Machado’s Private Pilot Handbook, Private Pilot Audiobook, Private Pilot Workbook, How to Fly an Airplane Handbook, and How to Fly an Airplane Audiobook.
A parent or guardian must sign off before the student flies and receives the Pilot Kit. If a winner cannot complete their flight before August 1st, the flight lesson and the Pilot Kit will be awarded to the first runner up.