Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship
The Orange County Chapter of the Ninety-Nines International Organization of Women Pilots is offering up to three scholarships to local women. The number of scholarships awarded is dependent upon the amount of funding available.
In 2019, the chapter will award two scholarships, The Eleanor Todd Aviation Scholarship and a second scholarship in honor of former member Shirley Tanner.
The scholarships are to be used by the recipients towards an advanced rating or training to further their pursuit in aviation. Each scholarship is $3,000 and can be applied towards a pilot’s license, advanced ratings or towards Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) advancement. If there are no applicants for the A&P advancement scholarship, it may be awarded to flight training at the discretion of the scholarship committee.
Click here to download the Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship application:
- Applicant must be a current member of the Ninety-Nines for at least 3 months. Membership must be in effect with 99s International by February 15th of the current year.
- The applicant must be in good health and not dependent on medication not approved by the FAA or have any other disqualifying condition. The applicant must have a current medical certificate, if required, appropriate to the rating she seeks.
- The applicant must train within 55 miles of KSNA.
- If the applicant is seeking a rating or certificate grade higher than Private Pilot, she must have a current flight review or equivalent and have all rating prerequisites to the rating she seeks.
- The applicant must be at least 18 years old; there is no maximum age limit.
- The applicant must be proficient in English.
- Applicant must submit and sign the scholarship application and the scholarship award attestation.
- Applications must be emailed by the application deadline, May 15th of the current year.
- The scholarship award must be used for the purpose specified in the scholarship application.
- If the award is to be used for flight training, it must be used at a certified flight school or through a certified flight instructor approved by the scholarship committee.
The application must be completed and submitted in full as stated below. Applications which are incomplete will be disqualified.
Application must be typed or printed legibly.
Send the application as a PDF (one file) to: OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com
Note: To assist in processing, we ask that you make every effort to submit your application electronically. Please submit emailed documents in PDF and Word formats (Google Drive documents will not be considered acceptable). Alternate method of submission: Contact us at OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com if you are unable to send your submission via email.
Contact the scholarship committee at OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com with any questions regarding the application process.
All applications must be signed and emailed by May 15th of the current year.
The applications will be judged based on the applicant’s:
- Activities and commitment to the 99s
- Activities and commitment to aviation
- Ability to reach goals
- Letter of recommendation
- Personal essay
- As the recipient, you must complete the rating or training appropriate to your award within one year of the award date. Special adverse circumstances will be considered if this goal is not met.
- If your progress is not acceptable to the Orange County 99s scholarship committee, all funds paid toward achieving your rating must be reimbursed to the Orange County 99s Scholarship fund within 60 days of that decision.
- A portion of the award may be paid directly to the recipient.
- Receipts showing progress of training and signed by both recipient and instructor must be submitted via email (OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com ) to the scholarship committee before further funds are awarded.
- Scholarships will be awarded at the Orange County 99s’ Pilot of the Year Banquet in June.
- The recipient will be asked to attend an Orange County Chapter 99s’ meeting to report on the progress toward her goal, or to submit a written report if unable to attend.
- Recipients will be asked to submit an article about their training progress to our OC 99s’ newsletter (Plane Tales) at OCNinetyNines@Gmail.com.