Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship
The Orange County Chapter of the Ninety-Nines International Organization of Women Pilots is offering three scholarships to local women. The scholarships are to be used by the recipients towards an advanced rating or training to further their pursuit in aviation. There are two scholarships available for the amount of $3,000 to be applied towards pilot’s license or advanced ratings and one scholarship for the amount of $3,500 to be applied towards Airframe and Powerplant advancement. If there are no applicants for the $3,500 A&P advancement scholarship, it is up to the discretion of the committee to award it to flight training.
All applications must be signed and received by May 20th of current year.
Click here to download the OC 99s Aviation Scholarship application: Orange County 99s Aviation Scholarship Application
1. Applicant must be a current member of the Ninety-Nines for at least 3 months.
2. The applicant must be in good health and not dependent on medication or have any
other disqualifying condition. The applicant must have a current medical certificate, if
required, appropriate to the rating she seeks.
3. The applicant must train within 30 miles of KSNA.
4. If the applicant is seeking a rating or certificate grade higher than Private Pilot, she must
have a current flight review or equivalent and have all rating prerequisites to the rating
5. The applicant must be at least 18 years old; there is no maximum age limit.
6. The applicant must be proficient in English.
7. Applicant must submit and sign the Scholarship Application, Cover Page, and the
Scholarship Award Attestation.
8. Applications must be postmarked by the application deadline, May 20th of the current
9. Scholarship award must be used for the purpose specified in the Scholarship
10. If award is to be used for flight training, it must be used at a certified flight school or or
through a certified flight instructor approved by the scholarship committee.
The applications will be judged based on the applicant’s:
- Activities and commitment to the 99s
- Activities and commitment to aviation
- Ability to reach goals
- Letter of recommendation
- Answers to personal essay questions
1. As the recipient, you must complete the rating or training appropriate to your award
within one year of the award date. Special adverse circumstances will be considered if
this goal is not met. If your progress is not acceptable to the Orange County 99s Aviation
Scholarship fund committee, all funds paid toward achieving your rating must be
reimbursed to the Orange County Ninety-Nines Aviation Scholarship fund within 60 days
of that decision.
2. The first half of the scholarship will be paid directly to the recipient. Receipts showing
progress of training and signed by both student (recipient) and instructor must be
submitted to the Scholarship Committee before 2nd half of funds are awarded.
3. Recipients who successfully complete their ratings or training will receive a one-year’s
membership in both the Ninety-Nines International Organization of Women Pilots main
organization and the Orange County chapter. They will also be encouraged to write an
article about their experience, to be submitted to “Plane Tales,” the OC 99s newsletter.
4. Scholarships will be awarded at the Orange County 99s, Pilot of the Year Banquet.
5. The recipient will also be required to attend an Orange County chapter 99s meeting to
report on the progress toward her goal, or to submit a written report if unable to attend.